Is your school district or educational organization looking for a science-based reading PD program that has a train-the-trainer option? Keys to Beginning Reading is just what you need! This practical course provides the background knowledge needed to teach all the components of beginning reading. The instructional practices are designed to easily transfer to classroom lessons and can be integrated with any reading curriculum or published reading program. To learn more about Keys to Beginning Reading click here. To learn more about the Train-the-Trainer model click here.
Dates: July 21-24 and 27-30 (8 days with a weekend off in between)
This training is for literacy specialists employed by school districts, educational organizations, or state agencies who want to become licensed to deliver training for the Keys to Beginning Reading PD program. After successfully completing this 8-day train-the-trainer session, you will become a certified trainer who is approved to deliver face-to-face PD for all course modules using materials provided by Keys to Literacy. You will deliver this training under the auspices of your employer. When certified trainers deliver some or all of the modules, each participant who is trained must purchase a copy of the Keys to Beginning Reading Manual (450 pages, $99).
What’s covered during the 8 days?
Keys to Beginning Reading is organized into nine modules that range from 1.5 to 7.5 hours each. Combined, the modules form the components of beginning reading instruction, just as pieces of fabric are stitched together to form a whole quilt. During this train-the-trainer session, a Keys to Literacy senior trainer will deliver model demonstrations of how each module is presented to teachers, and then conduct a debrief of the module. During the debrief, you will learn about the materials used to deliver the module, receive guidance on how to facilitate training for the module, and learn about the common issues and questions that teachers may have during training. Module topics:
- Reading Basics: stages of reading development; 5 components of reading; levels of language
- Oral Language: speaking & listening skills; talk moves for discussion; developing language through read aloud
- Phonological Awareness: word & syllable awareness; rhyming, alliteration, onset-rime; phonemic awareness
- Phonics: alphabetic principle; letter recognition & naming; multisensory cuing for letter-sound correspondences; systematic scope & sequence; syllable type, syllable division & structural analysis for multisyllable words
- Fluency: accuracy, rate, prosody; letter-sound fluency; syllable, word, phrase fluency; oral reading of connected text fluency
- Vocabulary: previewing unfamiliar words; text talk for read aloud; activities to connect vocabulary; teaching academic words in-depth; using context and word parts
- Sentence Structure: teaching sentence skills to develop syntactic awareness
- Text Structure: patterns of organization and transition words; informational and expository text structures
- Comprehension: metacognition; making inferences; beginning comprehension strategies – categorizing, graphic organizers, retell, summary, answering and generating questions
You will receive a trainer kit that includes all of the files and materials needed to provide professional development, including electronic files for:
- PowerPoint files with detailed speaker notes
- Blackline masters for training activities, including manipulatives
- Detailed supply lists for each module
You will also receive a Trainer Manual that includes introductory pages and a section for each module with printed PowerPoints, speaker notes and hard copies of blackline masters.
Note that there is a weekend break in the middle of the session. We are located on the North Shore coast of Boston, a beautiful place to visit in the summer. If you are traveling to the area, we can help you find lodging.
View a Printable Brochure/Registration Form or Register Below
Who Should Participate
This session is appropriate for literacy educators with significant background knowledge about evidence-based reading instruction and experience delivering professional development to teachers.
Enter the number of attendees you wish to register for Keys to Beginning Reading: Train-the-Trainer.