Would you like to learn science-based instructional suggestions for teaching beginning reading skills? This course is just what you need! This practical course provides the background knowledge needed to teach all the components of beginning reading instruction. The instructional practices are designed to easily transfer to classroom lessons and can be integrated with any reading curriculum or published reading program. The course is tightly aligned with state literacy standards.
The course is organized into nine modules that range from 1.5 to 7.5 hours each, represented by a quilt metaphor. Combined, the modules form the components of beginning reading instruction, just as pieces of fabric are stitched together to form a whole quilt. The module topics are: Reading Basics, Oral Language, Phonological Awareness, Phonics, Fluency, Vocabulary, Sentence Structure, Text Structure, Comprehension.
Keys to Literacy has grouped the modules into one- and two-day training sessions that provide flexible options to meet your individual professional development needs. Attend all five days to complete the full course, or attend any of the individual sessions.
The modules covered in each session are listed below the dates:
Session 1 (two days): March 5-6, 2020 $350
- Reading Basics: stages of reading development; 5 components of reading; levels of language
- Phonological Awareness: word & syllable awareness; rhyming, alliteration, onset-rime; phonemic awareness
- Phonics: alphabetic principle; letter recognition & naming; multisensory cuing for letter-sound correspondences; systematic scope & sequence; syllable type, syllable division & structural analysis for multisyllable words
Session 2 (one day): March 20, 2020 $175
- Fluency: accuracy, rate, prosody; letter-sound fluency; syllable, word, phrase fluency; oral reading of connected text fluency
- Oral Language: speaking & listening skills; talk moves for discussion; developing language through read aloud
- Sentence Structure: teaching sentence skills to develop syntactic awareness
Session 3 (one day): May 7, 2020 $175
- Vocabulary: previewing unfamiliar words; text talk for read aloud; activities to connect vocabulary; teaching academic words in-depth; using context and word parts
Session 4 (one day): May 8, 2020 $175
- Text Structure: patterns of organization and transition words; informational and expository text structures
- Comprehension: metacognition; making inferences; beginning comprehension strategies – categorizing, graphic organizers, retell
Register below just for Session 2, OR view a Printable Brochure/Registration Form to register for other sessions.
Who Should Participate
Educators who teach beginning reading skills in grades K-3, educators of struggling readers in grades 4-5, reading specialists or coaches, administrators who are responsible for literacy curriculum.
Enter the number of attendees you wish to register for Keys to Beginning Reading: Session 2 – Fluency, Oral Language, Sentence Structure.